If you follow my Instagram, you will have seen that I was playing around with Ranger Surfaces Stamping Specialty Paper and Distress Stains. I learned about this product watching a great YouTube video here, and I immediately ordered some of the paper and got some stains and prepared to have fun. I learned a lot about the process. Once I had some pieces finished, it was a matter of finding a stamp set to use with them. I loved the Mandala stamp used in the video, but it's out of stock, and so I had to cast around for something else. Luckily, I had bought Mondo Peony with my last order from Ellen Hutson, and I decided that would be a good place to start. Was it ever! Lookie:
GOJUS! Originally, I didn't even LIKE this piece of paper when I started it, but I learned a lot just by playing with the materials. This is what it looked like to start with:
Pretty awful, eh? Looks like some awful microscope slide of bacteria. Ick. The nice thing about this process is that if you don't like what you have, ADD MORE STAIN. I was being too stingy to start with. You can just pile it on and rework it until you get something better.
So after I played wit it, this is what i had. Some other things I learned is to use the high setting on your heat tool. Drying it with the low setting doesn't give you the same results. But beware, it does give off a bit of a fume while you are heating it, so try to do this in a well-ventilated spot, maybe with a fan running. This still doesn't look like much, but there were some cool things going on. I decided to stamp one of the stamps from Mondo Peony right over the Spiced Marmalade and Aged Mahogany area using Versamark then embossed with white EP.
I used the matching distress markers to add more color in the peony to make it all read as one color. It was easy to do this, because the paper is really tough and doesn't abrade with water or water-based inks. Another thing I learned was to blot off the heavy areas of ink because they never really dry properly, and your embossing powder will stick to them. Even with thorough drying overnight, it was hard not to get bits of powder sticking to odd places, and I cleaned these off as best I could before heating the powder, but there are still a few specks here and there.
I then masked off the peony and did the same process with the leaves, heat embossing, adding more color with the distress markers. I used water to blend areas and lift off heavy areas of blue within the petals and recolored them with marker. I then die cut it with the largest rectangle from the Tim Holtz Stitched Rectangles die set, which gave the perfect edge.
I used a couple of little jewels up in the corner for a bit of punch. The paper once you are done with it has a really silky finish. It's hard not to touch it!
I love the way the colors mix, yet don't mix.
The greeting is simple because you really don't want to cover any of this if you can avoid it.
SO GOJUS! I can't wait to play more with this great technique and product!
Below is my list of products that I used, and I have used compensated affiliate links where they were available, as I now participate in affiliate programs for Simon Says Stamp, Amazon, Ellen Hutson LLC, Scrapbook.com, Ribbon Resource, Gina K, Sissix, and Blick Art Supplies. Buying through these links costs you nothing extra and helps support my blog and my artistic endeavors, and I thank you.